Friday 22 June 2012

Reviewing Units 1 & 2

Here I stand, balancing on the precipice of Unit Three, tentatively embracing the next stage of my artistic education. However, as in all areas of life, one can only move forwards by looking backwards, so here follows a brief summary of the points raised in my evaluations from my first and second units of work. The intention being that by picking through my past successes and failures, I will be equipped to proceed with my work in a more considered, self-aware fashion. This, apparently, is a good thing.




  Self-Evaluation - UNIT ONE
The original aim of the this project was to explore the formal elements of art and design  (line, tone, texture, colour and so on) through studies from a ‘Shadow Box’ assemblage in the style of Joseph Cornell. These explorations included experimentation with new and unfamiliar materials and styles, such as blind contour drawing, dry-point etching or wet-on-wet watercolour work. This broad technical experimentation provided me with the knowledge and wide understanding required to make an informed and uninhibited decision as to the thematic and creative direction of my project later on.
After a brief false-start I concluded that the strength of my assemblage lay not in exploring the physical subject matter of my assemblage box, but in its concept – which was that the objects it was comprised of represented the individual elements of a piece of writing, a novel condensed into physical items, if you will. From this I took the core idea of attempting to reduce a novel and all its themes, associations and ideas to a single image. Of course, I then had to select a novel to begin working from, and it was Oscar Wilde’s ‘The Picture of Dorian Gray’ which I settled upon, owing to my personal adoration of it, its rich aesthetic ideologies and punchy, highly visual Faustian central message. I immediately knew that the final outcome would be some composition of characters from the novel, symbolic objects and setting, and so the first thing I was to digitally engineer the face of Dorian Gray himself, in order to have solid reference to draw/paint from. The development from that point onwards was really just finding the perfect combination of figures, symbols, colours and details and configuring them in the best possible composition in the most suitable media.
If time and the limits of human endurance had not been restrictions, I would have developed much more thoroughly my painting technique, focusing on the actual application and brushwork as opposed to colour and composition. I feel that the lack of technical refinement in my sketchpad is responsible for the technically lacklustre and somewhat underwhelming feel to my final outcome. If I had more time to study John Singer Sargent’s style and technique, completing a bulk of studies in acrylic and oil paint,  I feel that I would have gained the ability to bring the separately developed elements of the painting together in a more impressive, coherent and ultimately visually attractive way. My final piece’s mediocrity aggrieves me deeply, as I am keenly aware that there was so much potential to create a beautiful painting, and each aspect was individually developed carefully and tastefully, but the piece as a whole lacks the finesse and consistency necessary to carry off these individually strong elements. In short, it is as a whole less than the sum of its parts.
However, if given the opportunity to do things differently, I believe that a success could feasibly be made of the project. I would firstly use a smaller canvas, to enable myself to create the painting in a less preposterous amount of time. I would also look into experimenting with oil paints, a material for which I fear acrylics have been a poor compromise in this instance. I would change the colour scheme from the hideous dark green to a warmer, more consistent and less detracting palette, and would crop the composition to eliminate much of the empty space and give the figures of the two men greater impact. I would also complete some sketches of models posing in the exact poses of the figures, for anatomical and proportional accuracy – something for which I feel incredibly foolish and highly amateurish for not doing before starting painting.
Nonetheless, I feel that there are many successful parts of my project. My AO3 composition sketches are some of the strongest pieces of work in my sketchpad, and were invaluable in refining exactly what I wanted to capture about ‘Dorian Gray’ in my painting. I feel that whilst I find it essentially ugly, the content painting does capture and symbolise the meaning and plot of the novel effectively, and the poses of the figures and symbolic flourishes (the ghostly, haggard Dorian emerging from the smoke of Lord Henry’s cigar or the flower withering at the ghost’s touch) tell a decipherable but intriguing story that gives the painting some depth. I was also particularly pleased with my collograph work, which was essential in establishing the tone of the painting and the basic concept of showing Lord Henry’s corrupting influence over Dorian.
Prior learning that aided me in this project included a basic understanding of the character and suitability of different materials, a wide appreciation of artists and naturally a thorough understanding of ‘Dorian Gray’ so that I could draw from my own knowledge of the book as ample and reliable reference. After having completed this project, my understanding of the formal elements of art has been greatly strengthened, and I have gained an appreciation of previously unheard of materials and techniques through experiments such as my dry-point and colloggraph work. I also feel that I have a better understanding of what preparation must be undertaken before beginning an ambitious painting,
In terms of time and effort, I feel that I have surpassed myself, and despite the results, have invested heavily in this study. I have endeavoured to explore my ideas as thoroughly and skilfully as possible, and have avoided cutting corners, often at personal expense. I feel that perhaps I must find a more concise, focussed way of producing work, as the amount of time and energy invested into this project is simply not sustainable. That said, the journey this project has taken me on has been a thoroughly enjoyable, creatively stimulating, eye-opening experience, and most importantly has left with a more definite sense of direction as an artist, which I consider to be an invaluable reward.

Self-Evaluation UNIT TWO

The original aim of my project was to capture natural facial expressions in a way which represented an aspect of the personality, character or emotion of the subject. I intended for each study to not only capture the expression and ‘look’ of the subject, but also through the choice of media and technique to capture the essence and feel of that particular facial moment.
With the introduction of the photograph of my Grandfather, I developed this idea further, and decided that for each face and expression there is a ‘perfect’ way of capturing it; in essence, an ideal media (or combination of medias), surface and technique. I studied the chosen photograph, and deduced what qualities I wished to capture from it, such as the determination in the firmly set jaw, the simultaneous hard intelligence and soft kindness in the eyes, the tactile, weathered texture of the aged skin and the balance of strength and fragility. I proceeded to complete multitudinous studies from the chosen photograph using different materials in different ways, in order to deduce the perfect way in which to capture most comprehensively the character and expression of the face.
After completing two studies in graphite and oil pastel respectively, I found that between them almost all of the aspects of my Granddad’s character and expression were represented. Therefore I decided that combining the two media would create a study that captured all the desired aspects. However, whilst conceptually the fusion was a success, practically it was dissatisfying, as the two materials physically do not combine well, with the oil pastels blending and smearing the graphite, leading to a darkening and muddying of the oil colours and the loss of the rough texture of the graphite. Therefore I realised that I needed to find two materials which captured the same aspects of the photograph as the oils and graphite did, but which also combined harmoniously. I looked back to a successful study in acrylic paint to replace the oil pastels, and changed the graphite (which was now seeming dull and inexpressive) to a carbon stick, which produced much more intense blacks, a coarser, grainier texture and more versatility of line because of its shape. This combination worked perfectly, but feeling that  the plain white paper on which I was producing the studies seemed incongruous and bland, I set out to tailor the surface I was drawing and painting on to suit the character of the photo. I chose to use brown envelope paper, distressed by soaking, crumpling and tearing and then re-stitching. This gave a fragile, yet inherently utile and tough look which captured the balance of strength and age in the expression perfectly.
If I had more time, I would have liked to have developed my ideas further by producing an additional final outcome, using the same method of finding the ‘perfect’ media/surface/technique, but with a drastically different subject and expression. I feel that a portrait diametrically different to that of my Granddad would emphasise the fact that the choices related to the portrait were all individually tailored to the atmosphere of the subject.
Given the opportunity to do things in the project differently, I would have definitely experimented with oil paints in addition to acrylics, as I feel that they may have produced a good effect for the portrait. However time restrictions prevented me from using them because of the extensive practice and equipment required to achieve a good level of competence with oils.
I feel that the project was largely successful, and am pleased with the quality of my studies and the use of a variety of materials. I feel that I have thoroughly explored the topic, both in terms of the range of expressions studied, materials used and diversity of the subjects drawn from. I also feel that I have drawn an interesting and relevant collection of artists into my work, which have supported the development of my ideas and given me inspiration when stuck - such as when I looked to Maggi Hambling for inspiration when I wanted to find an alternative to graphite.
However, I do feel that the studies got a little repetitive towards the end of my project, and certainly personally found it trying to keep repeating the same face over and over. I think it may have been more interesting if I had a choice of three or four photographs of my Granddad, with different expressions or compositions. If I had had the opportunity, I would have applied the photographic method used of my friends (engage in conversation and discreetly capture the natural expressions) to the photography of my Grandfather. I also feel that it is a shame the vast wealth of photography of my friends did not get used past the initial studies, as some of the pictures are rather beautiful in their own right. However, as previously stated, this was a necessary evil due to time constraints. I also feel that the initial digressional exploration of facial muscles was a failure, and should not have been considered as it distracted from the later studies because of it irrelevance.
Prior knowledge of a good range of portrait artists such as Freud, Giacometti, Auerbach and Sutherland gave me a strong foundation to begin exploring different ways of capturing facial expression. Having completed a small amount of portrait work before, I was also equipped with a strong basic understanding of facial proportion and the details of facial features. This basic technical ability allowed me to focus less of making the faces ‘look right’ and invest more effort into exploring the actual expression of the faces.
This project has strengthened my understanding of the human face, proportion and the play of light across the features. I am also beginning to understand how the subtle differences in the positioning or shape of facial features can contribute to faces looking wildly  different,  and therefore how to accurately reproduce these sensitive areas so as to capture a subject in an accurate and realistic way. I have also become far more adept with a range of materials, including acrylic paints, charcoal, graphite and oil pastels, and understand far better their strengths and limitations.
I have dedicated a large amount of time and effort to this project, and am confident that this shows in the quality, consistency and quantity of my work. I also feel that I have avoided the unnecessary extravagance of my Unit One project, which consumed a simply nauseating amount of time. I feel that this project is comprehensive, of good quality, but also streamlined and focussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment