Friday 6 July 2012

Drawing from Life?

It has been recommended to me that I explore creating more work drawn from life as opposed to from photographs. This is certainly something which on a conceptual level appeals to me greatly, firstly as it seems far more Romantic and legitimately artistic than sitting crouched over a small photograph taken by a bleeping, whirring electronic monstrosity.

I can also appreciate the immediate benefits it might have for the quality of my work, as I do feel that some of my previous portraits feel rather conspicuously like painted copies of photographs, rather than of the people themselves, as I am having to interpret the camera's own limited capture of real life. I also feel that working from life would offer me a greater chance of capturing the spirit  of someones face and features, as seeing them in even the slightest motion indicates their tendencies and 'iconic' habits specific to the sitter - for example if a person has a particular predilection for curling their top lip when expressing feelings of distaste, or raising an eyebrow when making a point.

However. However, however, however. There are practical constraints, as a mere art student. Whilst I fully agree that to work from life is indeed the ideal way to work, finding a sitter who is not only inspiring facially, but also patient and willing enough to sit for possibly hours for me may be something of a challenge. I have devoted friends, but there are limits. It also means that I will obviously will not be able to pursue my famous/deceased muses as mentioned previously, as I am not prepared to grapple and beg for decades with Vivienne Westwood's management team for the sake of an A2 portrait.

As far as compromising and doing some drawings from life and others from photographs goes, I do not know whether that would be a satisfying solution. To go back to photos after experiencing life would seem like a technical regression, whilst starting with photos and moving to life may feel disjointed (or maybe it could work, must think). It is now a questions of deciding upon my subjects for my paintings so that I can begin organising the participation of my sitters/photographic subjects.


[EDIT] After re-reading this article a few times, I am edging closer and closer to abandoning my famous muses, and instead pursuing some drawing from life of more anonymous but I am sure equally wonderful sitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment